Hiring a freelance DNA sequencing data analyst can be a cost-effective solution if you need to consult a qualified expert, on demand. Here’s a quick guide to hiring a freelance genome analyst.
DNA sequencing is the process of determining the order of bases in a stand of DNA. Working out the sequence of DNA in a genome can help scientists identify specific changes in genes that can affect diseases like cancer. While Sanger sequencing is used to read the nucleotides in a particular DNA strand, the newer next-generation sequencing (NGS) works on the whole genome level.
Applications of DNA sequencing
Genome sequencing and whole exome sequencing have several application in medicine and clinical research. Sanger sequencing is more commonly used nowadays in molecular biology and biotechnology. Some applications of genome sequencing include:
- Identifying and diagnosing genetic disorders and diseases
- Developing personalized medicine based on the genetic makeup of an individual (which can determine which drugs they are most likely to respond effectively to)
- Studying cancers and rare tumours
What does a DNA sequencing data analyst do?
DNA sequencing produces large amounts of complex data, which needs to be analyzed and interpreted correctly for scientists to be able to make accurate inferences. DNA-seq analysts convert raw data into meaningful results that will guide further research. DNA sequencing data analysts typically have a background in bioinformatics, which combines data science, mathematics and computer science. DNA sequencing analysts help with developing models and algorithms to manage and analyze Sanger sequencing and NGS data. A genome analyst can provide insights into the risk factors for genetic disease in a specific individual, find new targets for drugs and help with developing personalized medicine. A genome analyst can also help with study design, especially the selection of patients for clinical trials based on their genetic makeup. DNA-seq data analysis can also involve analysis of the sequence in viruses and bacteria, and phylogenetic analysis to understand how different organisms are genetically related.
Some of the job titles of DNA sequencing data analysts include:
- Bioinformatics Scientist
- Computational Analyst/Biologist
- Genome Analyst
- Genomic Data Analyst
- Rare Disease Analyst/Cancer Analyst
Why hire a freelance DNA-seq data analyst?
While larger companies have in-house genome analysts and bioinformaticians to help analyze and annotate sequencing data, smaller companies often lack the expertise they need to validate their data. Several SMEs and smaller research labs need external help to verify their research data or help them refine it further. Hiring a freelance genome analyst is useful if you need to hire a qualified expert, on demand, at a budget of your choice. Freelance bioinformatics analysts can also help with visualizing the data which can help identify gaps easily.
How much does it cost to hire a DNA sequencing analyst?
DNA sequencing analysts typically have a doctoral degree if not a masters degree. The educational qualifications are either in bioinformatics, computational biology or molecular biology. The consulting fees ranges from USD 40 to USD 150 per hour, depending on the complexity of the project and the level of experience required.
On Kolabtree, clients can choose between an hourly fee or a fixed fee, depending on how well-defined the scope of the project is. Many experts on Kolabtree have years of experience in analyzing and visualizing genomics sequencing data.
How do you write an effective job post to hire a DNA sequencing expert?
Writing a clear and informative job post is the first step towards attracting the best and most relevant freelancers for your project. Here’s what all to include in your job post:
- Scope of work: Describe the end goal of your project clearly and the work you need to get done.
- Skills required: List the skills and subject matter expertise required for your project. For example, you may need to hire specifically a molecular biologist or a cancer researcher. Or you may need the expert to have skills in specific statistical tools or data visualization software.
- Deliverable(s): Define clearly the output you require and any specific formats you’re looking for it to be in
- By when you need to hire: If you’re in a hurry you could choose to hire within a couple of days. However providing a timeline of at least a week will help you receive proposals from the best freelancers.
- Your budget: Choose to pay per hour or pay a fixed fee. If you’re unsure about the fee, you can change it once you discuss the details with freelancers.
If you need to consult a DNA sequencing data analyst or a freelance bioinformatician, Kolabtree helps you choose from a range of experts depending on your project requirements. Post a project and get quotes for free.