A quick guide to hiring a remote science writer.
As the world of science and publishing continues to evolve, so does the demand for highly skilled science writers. While traditional science writing roles are still prominent, there is an increasing need for professionals who can effectively communicate complex scientific concepts to a wide range of audiences.
This shift has led to a growing demand for remote science writers. These professionals are typically employed by publishing or life sciences companies, and are responsible for developing content that is both accurate and engaging.
Remote science writers often work from home, which allows them to maintain a flexible schedule and balance their work with other commitments. This can be a major advantage for those who want to pursue a career in science writing but also want to have the flexibility to pursue other interests.
What kinds of projects can science writers help with?
Science writers can be involved in a wide range of projects, some examples are provided below.
- Developing blog content for a science/biotech/medical firm
- Communicating research results through news articles and press releases
- Crafting interesting and well-researched articles for science publishers
- Creating outreach and educational scientific, public health and research campaigns
- Editing and helping to write scientific papers
- Creating marketing and sales collateral: brochures, white papers, infographics, fact sheets, and more
- Grant writers can help with putting together NIH or SBIR grants
Why hire a remote science writer instead of in-house science writers?
There are a few reasons why remote science writers are becoming more popular.
- They can be more cost effective for companies, as they do not have to pay for office space or benefits.
- Many remote workers have expertise in multiple areas, which can be a major advantage when working on multi-faceted projects. Hiring remotely gives you access to a larger talent pool.
- Remote science writers may be more productive and efficient, especially if they are freelancing with multiple companies.
How to find remote science writers?
There are a few ways to find remote science writers.
- One option is to post a job ad online. You can post your project on freelance platforms like Kolabtree that specialize in matching you with freelance writers based on your requirements.
- Another option is to use LinkedIn to reach out to science writers. However it’s not always easy to figure out if they offer freelance services. LinkedIn Profinder is a great way to identify science writers who are available for freelance or remote gigs.
- Reaching out to academic organizations can be a promising but time-consuming process to get in touch with qualified science writers.
- Finally, personal connections can also be a great way to find remote science writers.
What should you look for in a remote science writer?
Science writers may hold PhDs in specific subjects such as molecular biology, astrophysics or chemical engineering. Many may have years of experience in academia and/or industry. If you’re looking for a medical writer, it’s useful for them to be certified by the EMWA or AMWA or a similar organization.
If you’re looking to hire a remote science writer, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, make sure that the writer has the necessary skills and experience to accurately communicate to your target audience. Second, be sure to outline your expectations and goals for the project, and provide the writer with a clear timeline and budget. Finally, always ask for samples of the writer’s work before making a decision.
Tip: A great way to judge a writer’s skills is to give them a small (paid) sample project before you begin work on a longer project. This may seem counter-intuitive if you’re in a hurry to get your project done, but in the long run, it will help save you precious time and energy.
Ready to hire a remote science writer? Contact experienced and qualified scientific writers on Kolabtree today.
Kolabtree helps businesses worldwide hire freelance scientists and industry experts on demand. Our freelancers have helped companies publish research papers, develop products, analyze data, and more. It only takes a minute to tell us what you need done and get quotes from experts for free.
Unlock Corporate Benefits
• Secure Payment Assistance
• Onboarding Support
• Dedicated Account Manager
Sign up with your professional email to avail special advances offered against purchase orders, seamless multi-channel payments, and extended support for agreements.