Natasha Beeton, freelance science writer on Kolabtree, provides a quick guide on how to hire a biomedical scientist, how much it costs, and tips for working with a freelancer.
Biomedicine (or biomedical science, BioMed) is the application of the natural sciences, especially physiology, chemistry, and biology, to clinical research and clinical medicine. Therefore, the term “biomedicine” generally refers to the interface between science and modern medicine as we know it today. Biomedicine has been responsible for many of the key advances in human and veterinary medicine in recent decades.
Table of Contents
What does a biomedicine expert do?
Most biomedical experts’ work is research- and laboratory-based. There are various roles that biomedical scientists can play, including:
- Managing a laboratory and supporting researchers in their work
- Analyzing evidence from accidents and crime scenes
- Testing a wide range of clinical samples for diagnostic or research purposes
- Discovering and developing new medicines
- Discovering and developing new treatments and diagnostic techniques
- Performing blood-based diagnostics and blood transfusions, analyzing donated blood
- Identifying bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms that cause disease
- Analyzing individual’s genetics to diagnose or screen for hereditary diseases
- Test the effect of toxins, industrial chemicals, and food additives on human and animal health
- Helping to design and build machines and devices for healthcare in the field of biomedical engineering
Biomedicine experts will typically hold a 3-year Bachelor of Science (BSc) or 4-year BSc (Hons) degree in biomedicine/biomedical science from a university or college. A postgraduate qualification (diploma, Masters, or Ph.D.) is required for certain roles and levels of responsibility.
Biomedical scientists work for national health services, blood and organ transplant services, universities, colleges, forensic or pathology laboratories, veterinary services, and the private sector (pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and healthcare companies).
The job titles of biomedicine specialists vary and can include Laboratory Technologist, Clinical Laboratory Technician, Biomedical Scientist, and Clinical Research Associate. There are also medical writers specializing as biomedicine content writers and editors for the media, government, business, and academia.
How much does it cost to hire a freelance biomedical scientist?
To hire a freelance biomedical consultant, the fee generally ranges from 40−150 USD per hour depending on the required skillset and the level of experience necessary.
The hourly fee can be negotiated upfront based on the estimated number of project hours, or a flat fee (for projects of a defined scope) can be discussed. If you need short-term/temporary access to biomedical expertise, then hiring a freelance biomedical consultant on our platform is a convenient and cost-effective way to connect with these specialists.
How do you write an effective job post to hire a freelance biomedical scientist?
The best way to attract the top Kolabtree freelancers in this field is to make your project description informative. You will need to provide information on the following:
- Skills required (e.g., expertise regarding the diagnosis of blood-based diseases)
- What the project area is (e.g., developing a blood-based multiplex diagnostic assay)
- What the project entails (e.g., biomedical consulting on product development)
- What the deliverables are (be specific about what you need the outputs to be)
- Duration of the project (provide an estimate of how many hours work you will need per week/by when you need the project to be completed)
- By when you need to hire (having more leeway on this will give you more time to choose the best expert for your needs)
- Your budget (per hour or fixed fee)
If you are unsure what exactly is required, providing as much detail as possible will allow the experts to still make an informed bid for your project and suggest the best routes forward.
Kolabtree makes it easier than ever before to connect and collaborate with biomedicine specialists who can provide your project with the expertise you need. Simply search for a freelance expert or post your project for free, and we’ll help you find the right person for your project.